This recipe was originally created by Nellie Stroduski who cooked for the Rockwell family (as in Norman Rockwell) in the 1950s and 1960s. Eat plain or crumble over ice cream.
Original recipe serves 36
Ingredients (serves 36)
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the salt, flour and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one by one. Beat well after each addition.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Add the sugar and egg mixture to the large bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Stir in oatmeal.
- Drop by rounded teaspoon onto the baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the pan for 5 minutes and then transfer to a rack. Makes 3 dozen cookies.