You need a smoker for this. Totally worth the wait!
Ingredients (serves 10)
- Make the rub by combining the cumin, chili powder, salt, black pepper and garlic powder.
- Coat brisket on all sides. Press into the meat. Wrap well in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Next day, bring brisket up to room temp. Prepare smoker, use hickory, pear, apple woods or any combination of these. I lean heavily on hickory, I personally don't like mesquite but it's all a matter of taste.
- Prepare mop by combining the BBQ sauce, ketchup, bourbon, cider vinegar and hot pepper sauce.
- Brush brisket with mop. Smoke 4 hours. Turn briskets, brush again with mop. Smoke another 4 hours, 8-9 hours total. Slice thin against the grain.