Actually a fusion of sweet and hot flavors.
Original recipe serves 12
Ingredients (serves 6)
You will also need: food processor
- Put ancho chiles in a small bowl with enough water to cover. Add the vinegar, and soak for 30 minutes. Add chiles to a food processor and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Cook sausage and beef in a large skillet over medium heat until evenly browned. Remove the meats from the pan and set it aside.
- Add 3 or 4 tablespoons of the meat drippings to a large pot and heat over medium heat.
- Add the celery, garlic, onions, and carrots.
- Saute over medium heat until onions are translucent and tender. Add salt and black pepper. Stir in the tomato paste, and allow it to caramelize.
- Deglaze the pot by stirring in the red wine. Scrape up anything stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper sauce, parsley, tomatoes, meats, chili powder and cumin. Bring mixture to a boil, and stir in honey and the processed ancho chiles. Carefully stir in the pinto and kidney beans, ensuring not to break them.
- Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover, and simmer for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.