A Southern classic that does well with catfish or other traditional dishes. They are fried and have buttermilk. What's not to like?
Original recipe serves 8
Ingredients (serves 24)
- Preheat oven to 200F (95C)
- Heat 1 quart of oil in a deep fryer or large saucepan to 365F (185C)
- Whisk together the egg, 1/4 cup of oil and buttermilk in a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, cornmeal and baking soda.
- Fold the buttermilk mixture, onions and green onions into the buttermilk mixture until combined.
- Drop balls of batter, about 6-8 tablespoons each into the hot oil and fry for 10 minutes or until golden.
- Remove hush puppies using a slotted spoon and drain of excess oil on paper towels. Work in batches as needed.
- Unless serving immediately, transfer the hush puppies to a baking sheet and keep warm in the preheated oven until serving.