Soft and chewy pretzels.
Original recipe serves 6
Ingredients (serves 3)
- Combine water and yeast in a small bowl and let sit for 1 minute.
- Combine flour, 1 teaspoon of salt, melted butter, and sugar in a large bowl, Stir in the yeast and water mixture.
- Stir flour mixture until a dough forms. Turn out onto a flour surface and knead for 5 minutes.
- Place ball of dough in a greased bowl and store in a warm place for 1 hour until it rises, doubling in size.
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C).
- Grease a baking sheet. You might need two.
- Cut dough into 12 equal pieces and roll each piece into a rope about 18 to 20 inches in length. Fold each rope into a pretzel shape and arrange on the baking sheet.
- Combine yolk and 1 tablespoon of water in a small bowl to make an egg wash.
- Brush each pretzel with egg wash, and sprinkle with course salt.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until pretzels are golden brown.