Gingerbread made the traditional way, an old favorite that is great any time of the year.
Ingredients (serves 8)
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C).
- Grease and flour a 9 inch square pan.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a large bowl.
- Beat in the egg and the molasses.
- Combine the flour, salt, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and ginger in a separate large bowl. Blend into the butter mixture.
- Stir in the hot water, and pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 1 hour, until a toothpick or knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool before serving.