An easy, but really good apple pie.
Ingredients (serves 24)
- Preheat oven to 425F (220C).
- Melt butter in a large skillet, add flour, and stir to form a paste.
- Add sugars, nutmeg, vanilla and water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place apple slices in a large bowl. Add cinnamon, and turn to coat.
- Place bottom crust in a pie pan. Arrange apple slices in the pan, mounded slightly.
- Carefully pour about 3/4 of the sugar sauce mixture over the apples.
- Place top crust onto the pie, making a few slits.
- Brush top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with additional cinnamon, if desired.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425F (220C). Reduce temperature to 350F (175C), and continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes more.