Italian flat bread with herbs, onion and tomatoes
Ingredients (serves 24)
You will also need: baking sheet
- Stir warm water, yeast and sugar together in a large mixing bowl. Let stand for 3 to 5 minutes, until the mixture starts to foam.
- Add the flour to the bowl while mixing. Dissolve 1/2 tablespoon of salt in another 2 tablespoons of water and add it to the bowl. Add in 1/4 cup of the olive oil, Keep stirring until the dough forms, and mix until the dough is elastic and smooth, for about 10 minutes, adding flour as needed.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and turn onto a floured surface. Fold it over a few times, and then form into a ball. Put the dough into a large bowl lightly brushed with olive oil. Turn the dough around in the bowl to coat with oil.
- Cover bowl with a damp towel or plastic wrap. Store in a warm place and let rise until it doubles in size, about 45 minutes.
- Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and dust with cornmeal.
- Turn out the risen dough and roll it out, flattening it until 1/2 inch thick. Place dough on the prepared pan and cover with plastic wrap. Let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute onion over low heat in a little olive oil for 15 minutes or until they caramelize.
- Preheat oven to 400F (205C).
- Uncover the dough, and brush with a little olive oil. Top with the parmesan cheese, a little salt, garlic, rosemary, tomato slices, and caramelized onions.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes.