Beef, Italian sausage, tomato, cheese and lots of layers. Worth the effort!
Ingredients (serves 12)
- Cook beef, sausage, onion and garlic in a Dutch oven over medium heat until browned.
- Stir in the water, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste. Stir in the Italian seasoning, basil, fennel, suagr, salt and pepper. Add in 2 tablespoons of the chopped parsley. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Cook lasagna sheets (noodles) according to package directions, drain, and rinse the noodles with cool water. Set aside.
- Combine ricotta, egg, remaining parsley and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C).
- Spread 1 1/2 cups of the meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
- Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise on top of the sauce layer. Spread on a layer of 1/2 half of the ricotta mixture and top with one third of the mozarella slices.
- Spread another layer of 1 1/2 cup of the meat sauce on top of of the mozarella and sprinkle 1/4 cup of the parmesan cheese.
- Repeat the layers, and top with remaining mozarella and parmesan.
- Spray some foil with cooking spray and cover the assembled lasagna, with sprayed side towards the cheese to prevent sticking.
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 25 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.