Stuffed poblano peppers with meat and cheese.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- Roast peppers over an open flame or under a broiler, turning frequently until skin has blackened. Remove from the heat and place in a plastic bag. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, brown the ground beef in a medium skillet, stirring until evenly browned. Add the garlic, tomato and onion. Cook for about 5 minutes more and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove peppers from the plastic bag and carefully peel off the skin. You may want to wear gloves while handling the peppers. Rinse peppers to wash away any extra burnt skin if needed. Make a small vertical slit in each pepper, and remove the seeds and membranes. Stuff each pepper halfway with beef mixture, and then fill the rest with cheese. Secure the peppers closed with toothpicks.
- Add egg whites to a large bowl and whip until fluffy. Add the eggs and whip some more to blend it well.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Lighly coat peppers in flour and dip them in egg to coat. Place them in hot oil and fry on both sides until golden . Drain on paper towels and transfer to plates to serve.